Pages

New Orleans Architectural Details

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Here is what I love about New Orleans homes - all the details. We have been here a little over two weeks now and the boxes are unpacked. It feels good to be settling into our new routine! Today I took a few minutes to access what we need to do to each room. While I was looking around, I snapped several photos of my favorite details of this house. To my knowledge it was built around 1900 give or take a few years. There have been many owners over the years and with them many renovations. The last owners added on the entire second floor and the new kitchen for example. When I took my dogs to the vet last week, the woman checking me in looked at my address and said, "I lived in that house in the early 1990's." I learned from her that it was her renovation that added the front porch to the house - a feature I thought had been there much longer than that.

This is the dining room fireplace - the living room is behind it. I love how you can see it from the entire front section of the house. The mantel is built all around it with shelves on the side. The fireplace doesn't actually work, but we can always burn candles in it during the holidays.


Here's the other side of the fireplace.


The photo above the mantel was taken by my dear friend in Portland named Jolie Goodson. She worked for years in New York City before opening her company, Jolie Photography, in the Northwest. If you live in that area of the country, I would highly recommend her. She captures children beautifully, is extremely artistic and has very reasonable pricing.
You can contact her here.


This is the chandelier in the dining room. I have no details on it...yet. :)


In the original section of the home many of the doors have these glass door knobs which I love.


In the master bathroom this window hangs above the spa tub.


Well that is all I have for now. Thank you to my friend Melissa of Chic Coles for giving me the idea for this post! Have a good night.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful home!! I can see all of your personal touches already!! Amazing! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love! The fireplace and mantles make a great division of the space while keeping it connected at the same time! Can't wait to see the rest of the house!

    ReplyDelete

- THEME BY ECLAIR DESIGNS -